Thread 3

The Free Lunch Is Over

Optimization the word that engineers from different disciplines like to hear. There is nothing more accelerating and frustrating at the same time, than having a working solution for a problem and someone come to you and say: "I would like this to be better". Is a challenge, trying to abstract the problem and thing of ways of making it "better". In programming this could be so many things, make the program faster, requires less space in memory, requires less petitions of IO. So many ways that a program can become better, yet as soon as I mentioned some of the solutions for a program to be better problems came out. A program cannot improve in every aspect without some fallback. Trying to make an algorithm faster can cause a larger utilization on resources. Less petitions to IO means that we require to save the information somewhere so we can consult it later. This is where knowing the type of problem we are presented and analyzing the proper solution is an important subject. Herb Sutter gives good points and that any programmer should keep in mind when programming a new solution. Just that i think something is being happening this couple of years that has revolutionize the way we provide solutions to our clients, Cloud computing. Herb Sutter is worried about how we are not able to rely on computer components in becoming faster and faster so our algorithms can run faster. This is completely true, yet the company that offers the fastest solution on the market , IBM, is not the one dominating on solutions for processing petitions to different servers. Amazon found an amazing product that is dominating the market that any person can use without any problem. People are becoming experts on the platform and understanding different services that can solve the issue that Herb Sutter mentioned. Is easy creating new instances of a service on amazon and implementing a load balancer that could take the different operations and delegated them to the different instances. Now this doesn't give us the lunch back, in reality we should know which kind of hardware solution we will be using and where our software would be deployed and exploit the benefit of each architecture. If this is a distributed solution as Amazon or a Mainframe with IBM. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thread 1

Thread 4

Thread 8